Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day...moments of reflection






ABOVE IMAGES: Medal, 2 portraits of Arthur James Smith, Red Huse and Arthur Smith, bottom image, L to R: Joe McGraw, Bob Swan and Bruce Markle making a toast to friendship and being alive to share there memories.

While we live in a world full of ignorance, Canada paused today for 2 minutes.  We reflected and paid our respects to all of the men and women who put their lives on the line for this country!  I've never experienced a military draft or a great depression and I'm certain that many generation x'rs don't think much about such roads to misery as we are so inundated with things like mp3 players, reality tv and the liberty to do a lot of whatever!  I took a journey today down a road that is less travelled and sat down with some veterans to commemorate what we know as 'Remembrance Day'.  November 11th is a significant time of the year where we wear poppies, we remember Normandy and we think of a special poem 'In Flanders Fields' written by, Lieutenant Colonel John Alexander McCrae(1872-1918).

I had the privilege of walking into the Royal Canadian Legion-Sir William Stephenson(Branch 637) in Oshawa, Ontario.  During my stay I was able to grab a warm cup of coffee, mingle with veterans and hear short stories about World War I and World War II.  I gravitated to a gentleman who was sitting alone and looking out the window(pictured above).  I approached him and asked him if I could take his picture.  He indicated that I could and insisted that I take a seat.  He introduced himself as Arthur James Smith(they call him 'Smitty') and we spoke for 15 minutes or so.  Arthur told me his father(Albert James Smith) fought in World War I and that he was a very brave soldier.  Arthur went over as a 48 Islander in 1943 and transfered to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders regiment and stayed until the war ended in 1945.  He also told me that he remembers the gas masks and the gas bombs, the occupation forces stationed in Oldenburg, Germany and that he landed in Bayeux, France.  

The stories I heard today gave me goose bumps!  It's amazing when you stare into the eyes of a veteran.  You see the bravery, you see the glory and you can feel the honour.

My goal behind today's posting, was to show students that you can go out into the field and be creative.  I walked into the legion as a photographer and also a reporter, I took the challenge and experienced a unique opportunity!  I think it would have been amazing to meet a veteran who was a photojournalist in the war, just to hear about the war from their point of view.

Special thanks to Irene Robinson from Robert Aldsworth Photo World for suggesting Branch 637 and helping me break the ice on today's assignment.  I was disappointed that I missed the city memorial and parade...I will try again next year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Touching. Everyone in the world is getting older and we need to remember them... when they are all gone.

Andrew Z. said...

Great post. I really wish I was able to get out of the office and get to a ceremony or a legion just to hear the stories and meet the people that fought for our country. It is a bit sad to see how little support our vets get during the rest of the year.