Thursday, March 12, 2009

my little book worm


It seems that my Apple Mac Book has been taken over by my almost 3 year old!  He just loves to look at pictures and hit keys.  The laptop has been a great way to stimulate his visual senses when I'm showing him the pictures I take of him.  It's pretty cute when he asks me for the 'laughing baby' video clip on YouTube he observes it well and starts giggling a long with the laughing baby...it's like it triggers a laughing frenzy.  It's priceless!

My involvement with helping students has also inspired me to help my own child.  We have his camera and laptop around, so the media literacy learning is off to a great start.  So far we haven't really got into any video games and I'm not really big on them at the moment(I do like guitar hero).  Last week the media made a statement on the news, something about kids and video games, how video games are highly addictive as hard drugs.  If you recall, 15 year old Brandon Crisp from Barrie, Ontario was reported missing back in early October last year.  Weeks later his body was found in a wooded area not very far from his home.  The tragic event stemmed from a dispute with his parents over a video game.  I spoke to some parents and the term 'no screens' for grounding has been a successful practice with many.  It simply covers all the basis, influencing a child to direct their attention to something constructive!

I'm not one for censorship, I think awareness is always a strong element in teaching children.  So hopefully more awareness will be brought forward in homes.  A balance is your best safety net, too much of anything is harmful to any young mind!

Just my opinions.

joey!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also, women love fashion. replica handbags invariably drawn to discussing the latest fashion trends and styles and who has the latest brand. replica bags is almost a reflex action for a woman to check out another woman and see what is she wearing or carrying on her arms and shoulders. They wouldn’t want to be caught dead with an designer replica handbags that looks tacky and so very gauche. If you want to be a part of the inner circle and play with the big boys and girls then you need to fit in. When everyone has the best of handbags strategically displayed it is imperative that you have the best handbags too. The designer handbags brand is such that you will see it all around you.